Weekly "Pupdates" are posted below on Fridays by 5PM The 1, 2, 3 & 4 Week Pupdates will include weights and a general litter update. At 4 Weeks, ID collars go on the pups (prior to this we avoid any sort of collar or color coding dye for their safety). The 5 & 6 Week Pupdates will include weights and brief description of each pup as their personality emerges. The 7 Week (Final) Pupdate will include weights, personality descriptions, temperament testing, and vet checkup results.
Abby's pups have come out of their shell this week. They have gained confidence and were fabulous at the vet (all wagging tails and kisses)! Every pup had a PERFECT vet exam- woohoo! These sweet pup have weaned, and though they are less enthusiastic about food than Stella's litter, they are catching on. They are figuring out the litter pans enough that we have decided to expand their pen by combining it with Stella's litter... everyone is VERY excited about the new playmates.
Ms. Purple: This serious little gal has started showing her goofy side this week! She swats at me with her little paw when I talk to her, and is getting very vocal when playing with her siblings (she has to tell them to cut it out somehow). She has lost some weight this week- more than I would like but not abnormal for a little pup that is adjusting to weaning. We are going to give her a couple extra 1 on 1 feedings each day to bring her weight back up. 1lb 10oz Ms. Yellow: This cutie patootie is just picture perfect! Not only that, but she is playful and gives the sweetest kisses. She makes good eye contact and is alert and SMART! 2lbs 13oz Ms. Pink: This beautiful girl is playful, sweet, and so happy! This sweetheart is so full of joy and wants to share it with the world. This girl is going to be that kind of dog that greets you at the door to shower you with love every time- even if you have only been gone for 3 minutes. 3lbs 12oz Mr. Blue: Mr. Blue is a goofy boy who loves to be loved on! He is a bit of a lap hog and craves cuddles, he just wants to be your buddy! I love his unique markings, and I am extremely pleased with this sweet boys coat and build. 3lbs 10oz
Temperament Testing: Using [A] for active response, [N] for neutral and [P] for passive based on:
1. Observation. Watching how she plays with other puppies, does she jump right into group activities [A], hanging in the midst of the activity [N], or submitting when approached [P]. Ms. Purple: P Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
2. Play. When you first take a puppy aside to play with, is he hyper [A], easy going [N] or does he just want to be petted [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
3. Cradle. When cradling a puppy in your arms, does he relax [P], wiggle a bit and then relax [N] or kick like crazy [A]. Ms. Purple: P Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
4. Call back. Using a treat or squeak toy and calling to the puppy while backing away, does he race after you while jumping or nipping at your ankles [A], follow happily [N] or hesitate and need coaxing [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
5. Tuck and pat. When kneeling/sitting on the floor, settle the puppy between your legs. Pet him in long gentle strokes as you praise him softly. Does he wriggle free as he nips [A], wriggle and then relax [N] or simply melt in your embrace [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
6. Bend over. Stand up, stretch and relax, Now go to your puppy and lean over to pet him. Your doing this may seem overwhelming to the pup because you're so large and he's so small. Does he jump up at your face [A], cower in confusion [P] or just relax and let it happen [N]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
7. Nose kiss. Cradle your puppy's face in your hands and kiss him on the nose. Does he bite you back [A], accept the smooch calmly or return the interaction with a soft bite or kiss [N] or pull back in confusion [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
8. Toe squeeze. In this exercise, you're testing your puppy's reaction and sensitivity to discomfort. While petting the puppy, gently squeeze the skin between his toes. Does he attack your hand. If so, he's definitely an A type personality with high sensitivity. A neutral puppy may lick or mouth gently, whereas a passive puppy will cringe fearfully. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
9. Startle sound. Take a bunch of keys and when your prospective puppy least expects it, rattle them above his head and gauge his reaction. Does he attack the keys [A]. Does he give it a nonchalant glance [N]. A fear reaction is noted by cowering or withdrawal [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
10. Crash test. Stand and wait until your puppy is no longer interested in you. Suddenly fall to the ground as if you've tripped and exclaim "Ouch" Does the puppy race over and pounce [A], come to sniff or lick your face [N] or cower and run in fear [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
11. Uplift. Lift the puppy 4 inches off the floor by cradling his midsection. Hold him there for at few seconds. Does he wriggle and bite furiously [A]? Does he relax and look around [N]. Does he look fearful and constrict his body posture [P]. Ms. Purple: N Ms. Yellow: N Ms. Pink: N Mr. Blue: N
All A's: This dominant puppy is bright and interactive. Raising him will take concentration, consistency and time. His favorite expression is "What's Next!"
All N's: Easy going and contained, this puppy will be pleasant and self-assured, though perhaps not terribly motivated to follow your agenda when it conflicts with his own. His favorite expression is "Is it absolutely necessary?"
All P's: This puppy has a weak self-esteem and needs your reassurance to feel safe. Without proper lessons and socialization, he'll be shy. His favorite expression: "It's been 3 minutes, do you still love me?" Mix of A and N's: This active puppy will want to be in the middle of everything but will show slightly more impulse control when stimulated. His favorite expression is: "Let's do it again"
Mix of N and P's: This self-assured puppy will be easygoing and gentle yet with a stronger sense of self than a completely passive puppy. Because he's more composed, he'll be an ideal puppy for a calm house with or without older children. Favorite expression: "Another back scratching please!"
Abby's sweetie pies are actively PLAYING! They are finding their voice, starting to yip and snarl at each other (totally normal). They are playing with their toys and each other, and happily greet us at the edge of their pen! They are eating kibble 1x a day which will slowly be increased until they are eating 3x a day. We have introduced a wee-wee pad which we will transition to a full litter pan when they are a bit larger. Photos this week were SO fun because everyone was able to keep attention on the camera!
Ms. Purple: I am having such a hard time not keeping this precious little bundle, little ones always steal my heart. She is developmentally a little behind from her siblings (which is normal for a smaller one) but she is doing just fine! She is eating softened kibble with gusto and likes interacting with her siblings, even if she gets pushed around a little. 2lb 0oz Ms. Yellow: This peppy gal is all fun! She really enjoys carrying around toys (today her favorite was the mini rubber ducky). She is the most playful in the bunch and is constantly swatting her siblings with her paws. 2lbs 12oz Ms. Pink: This beautiful little one towers over her siblings (but, of course, is still itty bitty for a doodle). I expect she will get closer to Charlie's size full grown because she has longer legs and a larger frame than her siblings. She is playful and cuddly, enjoys interacting with people and other dogs. 3lbs 5oz Mr. Blue: Gosh, how can you not just melt when you look into this fella's eyes! Mr. Blue reminds us so much of Charlie as a puppy (but smaller)! He has a lovely fleecy coat and a nice blocky frame compared to his litter mates. His personality is playful but easy going, he likes carrying around soft toys! 3lbs 3oz
Hello all! Thanks for your patience this week as we are posting our pupdates/photos a little later in the evening than usual! Abby's sweet babies are SO little that they struggled to get in and out of our smallest litter pan and to crawl up onto a baby bed, so we have delayed that step in development until this week. Ms. Purple is so small it may take her a little bit (but she is quite feisty so she may get the hang of these hurdles faster than we thing). We are a little sad to see Abby retire this year, as her little ones are so sweet to have around- they still fit just fine in the whelping box and are just preciously tiny. They were also a bit too small for their collars, so they will be put on this week (or we will order some softer small collars). Luckily this litter is small and their markings are unique, so I expect you can tell who is who from the puppy cam anyway!Their baby teeth are beginning to come in, so this week they will be introduced to puppy mush! We will make sure to capture their first meal on camera for you.
Ms. Purple: Small but fiesty, this little gal has really come to life in the last week, as she is strong enough to "fight" her siblings at the "milk bar." We are no longer having to help her out by giving her extra meal sessions with Abby. Ms. Purple likes to wave her paws at her siblings during play. 1lb 14oz Ms. Yellow: This sweetheart is curious as can be, her little ears remind me of Abby as a puppy (who also had high set, small ears) and it is easy to take photos of Ms. Yellow because she looks right at the camera- the hardest part is that she doesn't sit still, she tries to come to you! 2lbs 7oz Ms. Pink: The biggest pup in the litter, I expect Ms. Pink will be the largest pup when full grown (though still in the expected size range). She has a gentle demeanor and loooves her mommy. She is so cute peeking over the whelping box! 2lbs 15oz Mr. Blue: What a little gem! This guy is easy going, cuddly, and has such a nice blocky frame. Even though he is close to his sister, Ms. Pink, in size, he is chubbier than she is! Therefore, I don't expect that he will match her height as an adult. He is already good at making eye contact and has a middle of the road personality compared to the others. 2lbs 13oz
Abby's pups are starting to play! We have expanded their play pen and will introduce them to their first litter box and baby bed this week to get them started with litter training. They have transitioned nicely to our larger puppy room and are taking all of the new sounds and smells in stride! Abby is nurturing as always... our sweet little runt has been getting an extra feeding 2x a day (with our help) to make sure that she isn't falling too far behind her pushy brothers and sisters, and everyone is doing great! We will be putting ID collars on the 3 larger puppies this week (we have them ordered from Amazon, they should be here in a couple of days) but Ms. Purple is still to teeny for a baby collar.
Abby's litter ones officially have their eyes open and will soon be moved to a larger playpen, and we have transitioned them to the larger dog room outside of my office so that they get more of the sounds and smells of a busy household (TV, dinner cooking, other dogs). Abby is being a fantastic mommy, as always!
Abby is a fantastic mommy! All of her sweet little babies are gaining weight and hitting all of their milestones, even little Ms. Purple :) We may move Abby's litter out from our new "den style" whelping area by the next pupdate so that you can see her pups a little more clearly on camera.
Abby and Charlie shocked us with ALL parti puppies yesterday (8/18), despite having 80% red colored puppies in the past. It must be the year of parti! Abby gave birto 4 total, 3 girls and 1 boy. Photos, weights and this litter's Puppy Cam will be posted tonight. These sweeties are TINY!