03/29/18 Vet exam 3/28 went great! Everyone is a healthy bundle of sweetness!
Ms. Pink:: Pink Scarf Girl is the smallest pup in the litter at ***bs! She is independent and sweet, normally letting a sibling take the lead when exploring something new (though she was the first pup to befriend the cat)! Because of her smaller size and reserved nature, she would likely do best in a calmer household that can build up her confidence as she matures.
Mr. Blue: Blue Scarf Boy is middle sized for his litter at ***lbs. This little fellow has an endearing personality! He is adventurous in super playful, he would do well in a home that has another dog, or can offer regular play dates. He loves being petted and stroked, and is happily trusting of everyone he meets! He makes great eye contact. He will do very well in any household (family or single person).
Ms. Purple: Purple Scarf Girl is a sassy, silly gal! She is a chunk at ***lbs, but her build is short/stocky compared to her siblings. She is adventurous, confident, and a lover of all other dogs and people. She is expressive and photogenic, making good eye contact. She will do very well in any household (family or single person).
Mr. Black: Black Scarf Boy is the smallest pup in the litter at ***lbs. He is energetic and loving. He is a very happy boy that just seems to be smiling and happy all the time. His favorite thing in the world is to play and cuddle with any human, big or small. He has a soft curly coat.He will do very well in any household (family or single person).
Mr. Green: Green Scarf Boy is the biggest fella in the litter at ***lbs! He has a very stocky/square build, and I expect that he will end up 40lbs+ as an adult. He has a confident, middle of the road personality. He loves food and cuddles, and plays well with his siblings despite his size. He is a gentle giant! He will do well in any household (family or single person).
Ms. Yellow: Yellow Collar Girl is middle sized for her litter at ***lbs. She is sweet and confident, and has a middle of the road temperament compared to her siblings. She is feminine, and has white markings on her chest. She enjoys both human and canine attention, and will even flip on her back for belly rubs! She will do well in any household (family or single person).
Using [A] for active response, [N] for neutral and [P] for passive based on:
1. Observation. Watching how she plays with other puppies, does she jump right into group activities [A], hanging in the midst of the activity [N], or submitting when approached [P]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: A Mr. Black: A Mr. Green: A Ms. Yellow: N
2. Play. When you first take a puppy aside to play with, is he hyper [A], easy going [N] or does he just want to be petted [P]. Ms. Pink:: P Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
3. Cradle. When cradling a puppy in your arms, does he relax [P], wiggle a bit and then relax [N] or kick like crazy [A]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
4. Call back. Using a treat or squeak toy and calling to the puppy while backing away, does he race after you while jumping or nipping at your ankles [A], follow happily [N] or hesitate and need coaxing [P]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
5. Tuck and pat. When kneeling/sitting on the floor, settle the puppy between your legs. Pet him in long gentle strokes as you praise him softly. Does he wriggle free as he nips [A], wriggle and then relax [N] or simply melt in your embrace [P]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
6. Bend over. Stand up, stretch and relax, Now go to your puppy and lean over to pet him. Your doing this may seem overwhelming to the pup because you're so large and he's so small. Does he jump up at your face [A], cower in confusion [P] or just relax and let it happen [N]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
7. Nose kiss. Cradle your puppy's face in your hands and kiss him on the nose. Does he bite you back [A], accept the smooch calmly or return the interaction with a soft bite or kiss [N] or pull back in confusion [P]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
8. Toe squeeze. In this exercise, you're testing your puppy's reaction and sensitivity to discomfort. While petting the puppy, gently squeeze the skin between his toes. Does he attack your hand. If so, he's definitely an A type personality with high sensitivity. A neutral puppy may lick or mouth gently, whereas a passive puppy will cringe fearfully. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
9. Startle sound. Take a bunch of keys and when your prospective puppy least expects it, rattle them above his head and gauge his reaction. Does he attack the keys [A]. Does he give it a nonchalant glance [N]. A fear reaction is noted by cowering or withdrawal [P]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: A Ms. Yellow: N
10. Crash test. Stand and wait until your puppy is no longer interested in you. Suddenly fall to the ground as if you've tripped and exclaim "Ouch" Does the puppy race over and pounce [A], come to sniff or lick your face [N] or cower and run in fear [P]. Ms. Pink:: N Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
11. Uplift. Lift the puppy 4 inches off the floor by cradling his midsection. Hold him there for at least seconds. Does he wriggle and bite furiously [A]? Does he relax and look around [N]. Does he look fearful and constrict his body posture [P]. Ms. Pink:: P Mr. Blue: N Ms. Purple: N Mr. Black: N Mr. Green: N Ms. Yellow: N
All A's: This dominant puppy is bright and interactive. Raising him will take concentration, consistency and time. His favorite expression is "What's Next!"
All N's: Easy going and contained, this puppy will be pleasant and self-assured, though perhaps not terribly motivated to follow your agenda when it conflicts with his own. His favorite expression is "Is it absolutely necessary?"
All P's: This puppy has a weak self-esteem and needs your reassurance to feel safe. Without proper lessons and socialization, he'll be shy. His favorite expression: "It's been 3 minutes, do you still love me?"
Mix of A and N's: This active puppy will want to be in the middle of everything but will show slightly more impulse control when stimulated. His favorite expression is: "Let's do it again"
Mix of N and P's: This self-assured puppy will be easygoing and gentle yet with a stronger sense of self than a completely passive puppy. Because he's more composed, he'll be an ideal puppy for a calm house with or without older children. Favorite expression: "Another back scratching please!"
Thanks for your patience this week! I have updated the puppy gallery (view the "litter gallery" using the link above)! Can you tell that they have grown?
Updated the puppy gallery (view the "litter gallery" using the link above)! At 2 weeks old we have peepers... eyes are beginning to open! Mr. Green collar boy (the SUPER chubby fella) was first to open his eyes. Ms. Pink is taking her time, it may be another day or two for her (but give her a break, she is a little bitty gal). All of the pups are beginning to wiggle about the whelping box, and mommy is pending more time outside of the box... she even rode to the bank with me this morning! We have one last week where life is all about pooping, eating, and sleeping- then we will start seeing them play! Let the fun begin!
Updated puppy pictures (view the "litter gallery" using the link above)!
Oh my goodness, one week old already! I added a couple new photos to the litter gallery (view the "litter gallery" using the link above)! Mommy and babies are doing well. Little Ms. Pink is still much smaller than her littermates, but gaining weight every day. Penny is a wonderful mommy! Her one "rule" is that the whelping box has to have one spot that isn't covered by the whelping blanket so that she can lie on the cool floor. One more week of eating and sleeping, and then they will begin to come to life!
Added a couple new photos to the litter gallery (view the "litter gallery" using the link above)!
02/19/18 - Happy Birthday Babies!
12:06 PM: Penny is having a lengthy early labor, lots of "resting and nesting." Updates to come as her labor progresses and puppies arrive. Fingers crossed that we have a smooth delivery! Once puppies are here and stable, Penny's live stream puppy cam will be turned on and publicly available.
12:50 PM: Finally, progressing! She is in active labor with noticeable contractions.
1:32 PM: Mr. Blue! Curly red/apricot with small white markings male born, 314 grams.
1:50 PM: Ms. Purple! Curly red/apricot with small white markings female born, 307 grams.
1:59 PM: Mr. Black! Curly solid red/apricot male, 269 grams.
2:57 PM: Mr. Green! Curly red/apricot with small white markings male 390 grams.
3:08 PM: Ms. Yellow! Curly red/apricot female with small white markings, 315 grams.
4:53 PM: The Puppy Cam and Litter Gallery (both can be accessed above) have been updated! Enjoy! Mommy and puppies are doing very well. Ms. Pink girl is definitely the "runt" of the litter, but so far so good. She is not wearing a newborn collar... she is so tiny that mine are all too large! I will be going down our notification list this evening to allow those who have waited to place a deposit first, but I do expect to have availabilities for this litter!
02/14/18 - X-Ray
Penny is expecting 6 babies! Can you see them all without looking at the labeled image?